Monday, October 1, 2007

Taste

Imagine sandpaper, cardboard, cotton, wood, and rust as replacing your taste buds, tongue, and throat, and you would know what my mouth feels like right now. Ever since the last chemo shot, I haven't been able to enjoy much of anything I eat, and when I'm not eating, my mouth feels like someone planted a muddy shoe inside it. I wake up thinking how awful my breath must be if the smell is an extension of the taste. A couple days ago, DH and I went with Jenn to Rhizome, where I had a Caesar's (Clamato and vodka), and I smiled because it was the first taste I was able to enjoy in days. Alas, I'm not going to sit here and down Caesars all day. It's a nice thought, though.

Other remedies include: lifesavers (thanks, Sandra!), water with lemon, and...that's all I can think of now.

Oh, to eat and savour--big juicy marbled steaks, California rolls with real crab, turkey and provolone panini--anything with delicate, subtle tastes to deliciously pungent ones like some of my favourite cheeses. To drink sparkling water without it tasting like day-old flat soda.

Imagine.

3 comments:

dotorious said...

What a coincidence. I just had my first-ever Caesar a couple of weeks ago -- in Toronto, with extra horseradish to boot -- and I loved it! Who knew these were so delicious and popular in Canada? Anyway, I'll experiment with the recipes and bring over a brew if it turns out. ;-)

Cancerfuckingsucks.blogspot.com said...

Mmm...Caesars.

Unknown said...

I found that fresh blueberries were the only thing that worked for me and went through punnets of them while on chemo. However they are seasonal of course and I must admit to being unsure what season you are in right now - I'm in New Zealand.